Saturday, January 7, 2012

God Told Me to Eat a Cookie

Minus a recurring affair with homemade egg rolls, I'm being good. Healthy. Weight-conscious. Yesterday, I had a lovely mixed green salad with fruit for lunch. Then my brother invited me over for turkey tacos. Being a guest, I can't show up without dessert. So while at Albertson I pick up a bag of their bakery cookies which are, by far, the most awesome cookies ever.

I load the groceries into the back hatch, start the car, and organize my purse and phone for easy access. Then I'm over-run with my brain having a fight. It was like I could literally HEAR the angel and the devil on each shoulder duke-ing it out.

devil: I want a cookie!
angel: No, it is 4:45. You can have one after dinner.
devil: No, I neeeeeed a cookie.
angel: I've been good all day.
devil: Exactly, good all day. Won't hurt now.
angel: No, this is ridiculous I'm not getting out of my running car to get a cookie.

The devil won. I was compelled (I don't use this word lightly) to get out of my car and go get a cookie. When I get back there I see a man, cowboy mid-60's, whose spur strap has come undone. He is crouched behind my car trying to fix his boot.

Guys, I totally would have backed right over him. It wasn't the devil on my shoulder, but God. God told me to eat that cookie so I wouldn't run over the cowboy!

Eat a cookie. Save a life. Share the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment