Saturday, June 22, 2013

Why Daft Punk Is Up All Night to Get Puppies

Poor Claire gets both her father's freakishly good general hearing and my freakishly bad ability to understand lyrics from me.

Even though I have a strong musical background: years of high school band, private lessons, college music scholarship, lifelong love of all music, etc., I can't hear lyrics worth a damn. 

I'm quite infamous for thinking that Eric Clapton had Jesus Christ on the phone in his classic "Cryin'."  You can here the real version here.  For years I thought Bon Jovi was singing, "I doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not" in "Livin' On a Prayer" (it is kind of better that way!).  Even though it isn't lyric specific, Brad eternally loves to laugh at me for confusing AC/DC with Ozzy Osbourne.  They totally do sounds the same.  Listen to AC/DC and Ozzy here.

Since it is natural for me not to hear words, I've kind of just "tweaked" the inappropriate lyrics [that I can understand] for my 4 year old when they come on the pop radio stations.  Did you know that in our version of Ke$ha's song Tik Tok she will: 
Wake up in the morning feelin' like PDiddy
Grab my glasses; I'm out the door; I'm gonna hit this city.
Before I leave, brush my teeth to get rid of the plaque
cuz when I leave for the night, I ain't comin' back.

You might have seen her version of Thrift Shop where she thinks popping tags is "totally awesome."

Our most recent addition to the lyric rewrites has been Daft Punk's "Get Lucky."   Claire caught me off guard driving down the freeway when she asked, "What are they talking about?  Why are they up all night to get lucky?"  Ummm....think quick, Mom!  "They are staying up late to play games." I stutter... "they want to win.  They are having good fun and getting lucky playing board games!"  This got a good eye roll from Dad a few days later.  He decided it sounded better if you sing it, "I'm up all night to get puppies."  Claire loves it and we all sing "The Puppy Song."  I dare you to hear this summer ear worm without singing "We're up all night to get puppies."

If you can't relate to any of this, I urge you to take a look at this piece of greatness.  No one knows what they hell they are saying in Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter.  Enjoy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment