Thursday, July 2, 2009

Checking Head Injuries with Remote Controls

It has been a wild day. Well, not really, but more exciting that normal.

Claire is cutting two top teeth, so she is a little fussy. I should be more mothering and empathetic, but when nothing works I get irritated at her whining all the time! I should get used to it because she is a girl, but geez.

Since we've been home Tuesday - Thursday with no outings, I decided to ease her boredom (and she DOES get insanely bored without new things and people to see) by taking her to Tom Thumb to scoop up some steals.

Using the store's super sales (loss leaders designed to get you into the store and then spend your whole grocery budget there) store coupons, and manufacturer's coupons I was able to get over $100 worth of groceries for $35 including 5 cases of Pepsi for brad's lunch, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, oodles and gobs of condiments and hot dogs (4th of July sales plus coupons) for Claire's birthday party, a huge pack of toilet paper, cherries, coffee creamer, giant bags of potato chips, free dryer sheets, and more I can't even remember.

While unpacking the groceries at home Claire is right under foot. She loves pulling the BBQ sauce bottles off the low shelf and throwing them around. As she is doing this, I'm maneuvering my $4.49 giant 32oz. container of Miracle Whip I got for $.99 to the back of the cabinet (I put the new stuff at the back, moving the new to the front so it doesn't go bad). But I slip -- and drop it on Claire's head.

Even though Kraft doesn't put it in glass jars anymore, it was still big and I know it hurt. She starts that heart-wrenching wail that hurt babies do. She's beet red and inconsolable. I feel horrible because my klutzy self dropped the jar on her head. After a few minutes, she's still going at it and I can't decide if she has a serious injury and need to go to the doctor, or if she is just wound up from lack of nap, new teeth, and having a reason to let it all out.

Mommy isn't helping make anything better, so I go to the only thing better than Mommy - the DirecTV remote control. A big, super-forbidden baby no-no in our house, I sit her on my lap and hand her the sacred plastic with bright colorful buttons. She instantly shuts off and squeals with glee and laughs when MoMo comes and licks her tears. Thank goodness she is ok, but I kind of afraid she will start dropping things on her head so she can have it again in the future. It is a little Munchhausen's, but I wouldn't put it past her.

No comments:

Post a Comment