Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Crazy Coupon Lady

I am a crazy coupon lady. I completely understand that the Walmart cashiers cringe when they see me coming. I have comps, coupons, reusable bags, and typically a baby in the buggy too. I get it. So i try to shop weekday mornings, early (like 7am) weekends, and I try very, very hard to make it easy on the cashiers by putting my freebie coupons on the item (so they don't have to look up the price later) and sorting my comps by store. I'm really good.

So it pisses me off when cashiers get all nasty with me. At Walmart on Monday, my mom spent her lunch break walking around with me holding Bean. When we checked out the cashier took all my coupons and then as we were walking out she reprimanded me -- in front of my mom! She said that I wasn't supposed to use multiple coupons for the multiple items, but she did it for me anyway, but I could get in trouble. She was very condecending and it embarassed me infront of my mom, so I just thanked her and let it go.

She was talking about my razor coupons. Bic Breeze razors were on rollback for $5.14. I had a coupon for $3 off a package of Bic Breeze and a $2 coupon for a package of any Bic razors, so I bought two packages of the razors and used my two coupons. There is nothing wrong with this! Bic put the two coupons in the paper because they WANT consumers to buy two packages. Walmart has nothing to lose because the manufacturer reimburses them the face value plus handling. Large stores who accept coupons (think grocery stores, chain stores etc.) actualy make money on coupons. Did you know that surly cashier? No, because you don't even know your store's coupon policy.

My mom, being the "Cashier Trainer" for her Walmart went to the store manager for clarification. She told the manager that some of the cashiers are being gestapo about coupons and told her about my razor incident. The managers reponse? "Did she buy two packages of razors?" Yes. "So what is the problem? Make the customer happy." So my mom has requested a copy of the corporate coupon policy and has been told to spread the word to the front end to lay off on the poor people trying to save a couple of bucks (actually, that trip I saved $36 with coupons).

I understand these poor people make a meager hourly wage and recieve a modicum of training. If they don't know the policy they should err on the side of the customer and then ask their manager the next time they are around. If it is a big deal (say, someone brings in 10 copies of a "free diapers" coupon) they should say, "Please wait for a minute. I have to have my front end manager approve this transaction. Thanks for your patience." Sure, I have a college degree, but I could have figured that one out in 6th grade.

I have also printed off the Albertsons, Target, Walmart, Kroger, Tom Thumb, and Brookshires Corporate coupon policies to keep in the front of my coupon file. Then I can stick it to the surly cashiers. They don't know who they messed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment