Saturday, June 20, 2009

Insert Explicative Here

I have no words for how weird today has been.
It started of innocent enough. Then Brad saw a boxer running lose in the neighborhood and decided it needed to be stay in our yard until we could find its owners. This drove Diesel crazy since there was an unspayed female running around his yard. We thought it was the new neighbor's dog, and posted a note on the door. Brad went for a motorcycle ride while I tended the animals. After about an hour and a half the girl dog started barking and we realized she was scratching at the new fence! NO!!! So Brad went back out with her and noticed her tag was not "just" a rabies tag - it had a phone number on it. Brad called and left a message and they called right back....but they were out of town. After giving us their gate combination lock code, Brad returned the boxer to the yard. And since the owners informed us this dog is a fence jumper, I have a feeling we'll be putting her back in the yard all weekend. Oh well. She is a sweetie.


So how did THIS happen?

After the dog crisis was averted, I decided we should all go to the library. Nothing fancy, I just grabbed my Covey planner (a $90 set-up that serves as calendar and wallet) and a pair of flip flops. While on I-20 between McCart and Trail Lake, I see an explosion of paper out my side mirror. What? Did I hit something? Did it fall out of a vehicle? What was that? Oh crap. My planner. I had put it on the roof of the car when I put Claire in her car seat and forgot about it.


In total panic mode, Brad calls Wells Fargo to cancel my debit card while I circle around to see if the green binder/cover and cards were on the side of the road. I knew the planning pages were littering Southwest Fort Worth.


Loop #1:

With hazards so, I slowly retrace. We see paper everwhere, no wallet, but Brad did see a $10 bill(my Half-Price Books money!) blowing around.


Loop#2

A slow pass with my hazards on, I see it in the 2nd lane. Brad finishes his call with the bank, and I call 911 to request an officer to help me with traffic so I can fetch it.


Loop #3

An officer is en route to help, but requests we go park on the shoulder (luckily a big shoulder) near it. By the time we get there, cars have thrown it onto the shoulder...basically. Brad gets it. There is nothing but a pen left in it.


Brad also sees a card and walks approximately 100 yards back to the on-ramp picking up cards and another 100 yards in front picking up more. I had a few credit cards, debit cards, gift cards to Target, Logans, Disney store, my Sam's card, library card, and drivers license in there. The only things he didn't find (that I can think of) are my Mrs. Baird's frequent buyer card (damn, only $5 left to a free loaf) and my two debit cards...which incidentally where the only things we had already cancelled. I like to think some jerk saw it fly off my car and went to immediately use it, but it was locked. Haha!


The police came and very courteously waited for Brad to walk back to the car safely and I am SO SO thankful that Brad was there and willing to walk the road in the heat for me.


As you can see, my planner sustained MAJOR damage. You can't see in the picture, but there are holes in it. HOLES! Also, besides being covered in road grime, some of my cards are a little worse for the wear. I particularly like how the Sams Card looks like it had a bite taken out of it, the plastic is peeling off my drivers license and the Discover card was folded in half. How do you like those rewards!

All in all, I think it could have been a lot worse, but it still sucked. Needless to say, we are staying home for the rest of the day.

3 comments:

  1. I would have loved to see y'all running down the freeway getting all of this. I can't believe you got most of it back! The other drivers must have thought you were nuts. I bet you won't forget it's on the roof next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing so hard I started crying. LOL!!! I am so sorry that happened, but I just happen to have a BRAND NEW Covey that I do not use!!! Want it??????????????? Same size, just black...think of it as an early birthday present IF you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG.. what a story. Sorry that happened to you. I wish I would have seen yall on the side of the road.

    I had just bought Victoria a new set of 45 dollar sandals when she was little and left them on the top of the car once while putting her in her carseat. I turned the corner and just happened to remember they were on there I traced my steps and found them!! I don't know how they were still there since I was driving in the hood... lol..

    ReplyDelete